UP DD35A 74
- Group: Union Pacific 70-84
- Builder number: EMD 29988
- Builder date: April, 1965
- Horsepower: 5000
- Weight: 522,000
- Prime movers: Two turbocharged EMD V-16 567D3A
- Main generators: Two General Motors D32
- Traction motors: Eight General Electric GE752
- Gear ratio: 74:18
- Production: 15 units between April and June, 1965
Union Pacific 74
Built in April, 1965, as Union Pacific 74 as part of a single 15-unit order for DD35A’s. It was retired in August, 1981, and sold for scrap to in February, 1982 to Naporano Iron & Metal in Newark, New Jersey.
This unit was one of five that originally had a gear ratio of 79:24 for high speed service. They were all later regeared to 74:18.
For a complete history of the development of the DD35, see Don Strack’s excellent Utah Rails page.
All of the DD35A’s used traction motors from traded in units. UP 70-83 had rebuilt General Electric 752 motors from retired Alco UP FA1 and FB1’s, with a 74:18 gear ratio. UP 84 had rebuilt D67B1 motors from UP 159, a wrecked GP9.