NdeM RS1 5658
- Group: Nacionales de Mexico 5657-5662
- Railroad class: DE-6 (1959-1974)/A-59-1000HP (1974-)
- Builder number: Alco 83620
- Builder date: December, 1959
- Horsepower: 1000
- Weight: 239,000 lbs.
- Gear ratio: 75:16
- Prime mover: Turbocharged 6-cylinder inline Alco 539T-6L
- Main generator: GE GT533
- Traction motors: GE 731
- Production: 466 units between March, 1941, and March, 1960
- Nacionales de Mexico ownership: 64 units
Nacionales de Mexico 5658
Built by Montreal Locomotive Works in December, 1959, as Nacionales de Mexico 5658, part of the railroad’s last order for seven units. It was retired by 1988.
At 64 units, Nacionales de Mexico bought more RS1’s than any other carrier in North America. These orders were spread over a ten year period, with NdeM buying the last RS1 built:
- NdeM 5606-5624 in 1950*
- NdeM 5625-5650 in 1957*
- NdeM 5651-5656 in 1958
- NdeM 5657-5663 in 1959-1960
* NdeM 5600-5605 were delivered as NdeM 5619-5624 (first) but were renumbered soon after delivery.
NdeM 5663 was the last RS1 built at Schenectady.
The last order was filled by Montreal Locomotive Works in Canada. There were two additional orders to replace wrecked units:
- NdeM 5619-5621 (2nd) in 1954 (built at Montreal Locomotive Works)
- NdeM 5622-5624 (2nd) in 1956
These were the only RS1’s sold to Mexico. They were originally painted black with aluminum or white lettering, and later in the traditional NdeM green and orange scheme.