FCP RS11 501
- Group: Ferrocarril del Pacifico 1501
- Builder number: Alco 82371
- Builder date: October, 1957
- Horsepower: 1800
- Prime mover: Turbocharged Alco V-12 251B
- Main generator: General Electric GT581
- Traction motors: Four General Electric 752
- Production: 356 units built between February, 1956, and June, 1961
- Ferrocarril del Pacifico ownership: 1 unit
Ferrocarril del Pacifico 1501 > Ferrocarril del Pacifico 501 > FNM 501
Built as Ferrocarril del Pacifico 1501 in October, 1957, as a single order for a single unit. It was renumbered Ferrocarril del Pacifico 501 very soon after delivery. It became FNM Pacific Region 501 in the 1987 merger.
The color scheme shown here is dark green with a yellowish-tan, almost the color of dry grass. The trucks, fuel tank, and underbody are aluminum. As delivered, there was a round Pacifico logo on the cab, the last unit delivered that way after the RSD5’s and S6’s. This paint scheme was modified in the very early 1960’s as shown with the stacked Ferrocarril del Pacifico logotype. The numbers were in imitation gold.
This unit was painted in just about every one of the various Pacifico paint schemes. It wore both green and yellow and blue and yellow, and gray and scarlet. It ended up as the shop switcher at Empalme, Sonora, near Guaymas, and given a special commemorative scheme under FNM. That was the reverse of this scheme, with the green being predominant with tan accents.
Although Ferrocarril del Pacifico bought just this one unit, the RS11 actually was relatively popular with SCOP and NdeM. It is entirely likely this unit was added to one of those orders.
The Ferrocarril del Pacifico was originally the Sud Pacifico de Mexico, which the Mexican government bought in 1951. It used the SPdeM 1951 rule book throughout it’s entire life until the 1987 merger. Note the glass train number indicators, exactly as Southern Pacific used.