Chicago & North Western Alco C425 402

Chicago & Northwestern Alco C425 402 at Huron, South Dakota, June 2, 1974. Photo by Bruce Black.
C&NW 402 at Huron, South Dakota, June 2, 1974. Photo by Bruce Black.

C&NW C425 402

  • Group: Chicago & North Western 401-404 (third)
  • Builder number: Alco 3468-2
  • Builder date: December, 1966
  • Horsepower: 2500
  • Weight: 260,000 lbs
  • Prime mover: Turbocharged Alco V-16 251C
  • Main generator: General Electric GT598
  • Traction motors: Four General Electric GE752
  • Gear ratio: 74:18
  • Production: 91 units between October, 1964 and December, 1966
  • Chicago & North Western ownership: 4 units

Chicago & North Western 402 > Chicago & North Western 4256

Built as Chicago & North Western 402 in December, 1966. It became Chicago & North Western 4256 in 1982 to clear Executive F- units. It was retired in August 27, 1986, traded in to EMD the same month, and scrapped by St. Louis Auto Shredding, Ft. Madison, Illinois.

Chicago & North Western bought a single A-B-B-A set of Alco FA1 demonstrators in March, 1951. They were never liked, and Alco agreed to a trade in for four new RS27’s, Chicago & North Western 900-903 in March, 1962. Those were also disliked, and Alco agreed to yet a third trade in, this time for this lone order of C425’s in December, 1966.